Sometimes when we work on Lotus Notes, we get surrounded with many unknown errors. So we should know how these errors can be removed on the spot. Here we are going to discuss one specific error as mentioned below along with its solution.
Case:-(Applying DR operation)
When we accomplish recovery operation with full backup set, it shows status of recovery completed successfully. However, in case of point in time recovery via transaction log which is applied after full backup it shows the message of recovery failure and Lotus Notes crashes.
You can apply following steps to get rid of this error as a solution:-
- First reinstall the Domino server software.
- Then restore the Domino configuration files (*.id) from the file system backup image.
These files are available to the path of the current server installation.
- Then start configuring of the server. You can use *.id files that you have stored in the previous step, to configure the server for the first time.
- If transaction logging has enabled in the previous Lotus Notes, with the help of the Domino Administrator application you can enable transaction logging on the new Domino server and then restart the server.
- Or if not then shut down the Domino server. Set the following value in the notes.ini file.
- And add the following line to the notes.ini file:
- You can do one more thing, Move or Delete any files that may exist in the translog_path directory. Just like nlogctrl.lfh or any transaction log extents.
- In other way you can Copy the transaction logs from the previous Domino server into the current transaction log directory.
- Or, you can restore the transaction logs using the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface. The transaction logs should have a timestamp later than the timestamp of the backup image from which the databases are restored.(Be careful doing this thing you need to make sure only copy those transaction which has a timestamp and later than the backup image needs to be copied no need to copy all files.
- Don't forget to make the following changes to the notes.ini file:
- Then start the Domino Server in order to create the new control file for the restored transaction logs. After this you can shut down domino server.
- You can make the perfect use of Backup, Archive, and Restore interface in consideration of restoring databases of Lotus Notes from the Lotus backup image.
- Now transaction logging enabled so select the point-in-time to which you want to restore.
- Or in situation of point-in-time is not selected then Lotus Notes database move forward to the most recent available version. (If backup images of non-Lotus databases are not available, you can configure the newly installed Domino server by creating new *.id files)
When the recovery procedure of the Lotus databases gets completed, you have to bring the following change to the notes.ini file.
TRANSLOG_MediaOnly=0 (Or, remove the setting from notes.ini.)
- And at the end start the Domino Server successfully.
But one scenario may be possible, if after doing this Lotus Notes is unable to start, in this case you will have to take help from economic commercial utility like Stellar Phoenix Lotus Notes Recovery. This application is very much helpful in Lotus Notes corruption and takes only few minutes to recover all data or information available in damaged Notes Storage facility (NSF).